29/07/2016 0 Comments
Restore Your Smile with Dental Bonding from Durham Dental Centres
Dental bonding is another dental marvel that can help restore a bright smile to your list of attributes. It all started in the mid-50s with the advent of adhesive dentistry, and evolved through a number of generations to become what it is today: an affordable and durable method of repairing teeth and correcting unsightly stains and malformations.
What is dental bonding?
It is a procedure performed by your dentist that involves bonding tooth-colored material to teeth and hardening it with a special ultraviolet light.
When is it used?
- Dental bonding can be used to repair cracked, chipped or decayed teeth
- It can also be used to reshape teeth, make them look longer, cover stains and close gaps
- Dental bonding can be used to cover and protect roots that are exposed when gums recede
Is it painful? Will you have to spend hours in the dentist’s chair?
- No! Unless bonding is being used to fill a decayed tooth, you will most likely not need anesthesia. Compared to many other dental procedures, dental bonding is a breeze!
- The first thing your dentist will do is use a shade guide to find the composite resin color that matches your teeth
- Then the surface of the tooth is roughened with a mild chemical to help bonding, and a thin plastic film may be placed around the area to be worked to protect neighboring teeth
- The resin is then applied and shaped in layers and hardened with the UV light until enough material has been applied. Your dentist will trim and polish the tooth to the desired shape.
- Dental bonding normally takes only 30 – 60 minutes per tooth
Okay. What’s the catch? Dental bonding sounds too good to be true!
- Easy and inexpensive. What’s not to like? Well, dental bonding has its limits. It is not quite as resistant to stains as veneers and crowns, and may not last as long. Because of this, some dentists will limit dental bonding to smaller cosmetic corrections on teeth with low bite pressure, such as front teeth.
- But the advantages are real! Unlike veneers and crowns that have to be prepared in a lab, dental bonding can usually be done in a single office visit and requires the removal of less tooth enamel.
Dental bonding is a worthwhile alternative to more expensive and invasive dental procedures. For all your questions regarding cosmetic dentistry in Ajax, call us at Durham Dental. Our cosmetic dentists in Whitby, Ontario are there to serve you.
With three offices in the area, Durham Dental is never far from where you live or work. We are your cosmetic dentists in Whitby, Ontario. Or if you are looking for cosmetic dentistry in Ajax, call us at 905-427-4280.